Living well with dementia
Hospice of the Valley plans to establish a Dementia Care and Education Campus in east Phoenix that will care for people at all stages of dementia. The campus also will feature an intergenerational adult and child care center and an education venue that brings people together to share best practices in dementia care.
The multi-purpose campus will support patients, their caregivers, healthcare providers, students, volunteers, neighbors and the community. As one of the top ten states with elderly populations, Arizona’s fourth leading cause of death is Alzheimer’s disease. By 2025, more than 200,000 Arizonans will have Alzheimer’s disease—increasing by more than half from today.
As the incidence of dementia grows, so has the need for expanded services to care for patients at all stages of the disease and to help family caregivers relieve stress. The innovative Dementia Care and Education Campus is a natural extension of Hospice of the Valley’s internationally recognized educational and professional development programs aimed at enhancing quality of life for those living with dementia and sharing knowledge with those interested in careers involving dementia care.
The campus will include:
- A 10-bed dementia palliative care unit for people with advanced disease on hospice.
- A 12-bed assisted living home for people with mild, moderate or advanced dementia, many with behavioral problems, who may or may not be on hospice.
- An adult day care center for 20 people with dementia.
- An early childhood education center for 13 children ages 3–5 in the same building as the adult day care center.
- A dementia education center with a conference room for up to 100 guests and a café for community and campus visitors. The center also will include a model patient room to teach care.
The four-building campus will be located at 3811 N. 44th St. in Phoenix, which was the former site of the Scottsdale Unified School District office.
Groundbreaking on this innovative campus will take place in the summer of 2019, with grand opening estimated by end of 2020.
For more information, please call (602) 636-6363 or email our campus Medical Director Dr. Gillian Hamilton at email@example.com.